Thursday, November 29, 2007

Do I admit to being an idiot?

So let me give you some context for my dilemma. Tuesday night I'm heading out of town with my wife for a getaway. Demond calls and pulls the whole depressed voice, "guess who's out for the year" bit. He tells me Roosevelt Colvin is out. I have internet access for about 5 minutes the next day, and throw up a comment on his post. Some how, between the joy of being away from the kids for a night and limited connectivity, I crossed wires in my brain. Something in me became convinced that Richard Seymour was out. Today, I come back and note my mistake with horror. So now that I've already posted about how Colvin and Freeney do the same job for their teams (which they clearly don't), do I admit my mistake and expose myself as a moron, or do I just let it go and hope no one notices.

Obviously, I chose to fess up. I'm an idiot. The substance of what I said is still sort of true, but not nearly as true as it would have been had it been Seymour who was hurt. So anyway, that's my boring confession of the day.

Bob M. pointed out that Phil B is saying what we've suspected for some time. Marvin might not be back until January. I don't think any of us are really shocked by that. If he really might be done, the team would have IRed him. Other than that, I'll believe he's coming back when I actually see him line up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Colvin injury is a big deal though. This means Bruschi and Seau and going to have to play more, maybe even every down. That is going to wear on them and continue to expose the middle of the field.

This is still good, but it doesn't equal the losses on defense the Colts have suffered.

However....I don't think Seymour played for some part of that Eagles game...is there anyway to see how many snaps he took?

Anonymous said...

LOL. We're all idiots sometimes. Anyone who doesn't admit it is just lying to himself (or herself).

Anonymous said...

I obviously want Marvin back ASAP, as we all do.

But I'm starting to think it's just a ploy. I don't think he's going to play at all until next season, but they haven't IRed him because that way teams still have to worry about him playing.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely correct, this is a major blow to this team, can they recover, perhaps, but still hurts. Would argue more devastating than losing Morris, but that's just b/c the Pats have been on another planet with the offense. Wes Welker is the new RBWR..

anyway, yes, get the air masks ready on the sidelines for Seau and Bruschi. they're gonna need em. Chad Brown is a smart pick, Belichick loves the vets, but again he's 36(?) and there are only so many downs that body can take. will be interesting to see how the D responds in playing a base 4-3 with Jarvis Green filling in on more plays.

But if this coaching staff (especially D coordinator, Pees) has proven anything, it's creativity. The DLine has been great thus farwill be interesting to see if they can keep it up in the 4-3.

Too bad in today's salary cap driven age, that may have been Colvin's last game as a Pat..

Bob M. said...

I think Colvin's a bigger blow than Seymour--they have proven over the past couple years they canoperate at a high level without RS, but their backers depth is a bit thin.

Coltsgirl... or running for office!

Travis, I don't see it as a ploy--we're desperate at WR and I don't think any ploy advantage outweighs the manpower deficit we had at WR before Gonzo came back--with no Dallas Clark, Moorehead and Thorpe were essentially starters.
It's a little like bluffing in poker--can't do it all the time or it loses its value. Bluffing for 9games plus playoffs? Doesn't sound reasonable, and Dungy/Polian are pretty conservative.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a ploy either, I don't see the Colts waiving guys like Klecko and Lawton if they knew that Harrison was done for the season. I think they're just keeping him off the IR, hoping against hope that he's ready in time for a Frazier-esque comeback in the playoffs. I think they just esteem him as that good a player that if there's SOME chance he'll be healthy enough to play in January, they want to leave that possibility open.