Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A cry for help

We are looking for information on a game that has been nominated by a reader as one of the great Colts games ever.

Reader JD says:
You're gonna have to help me out with the year but what about the game against Pittsburgh when Butler caught the deflected pass for a long touchdown at the end of the game for the win. It was 1980 something at the dome.

Here's what I know:
On October 21st, 1984 at the Dome the Colts beat the Steelers 17-16. The Colts scored all 17 points in the 4th quarter. I can only assume this is the game he means. I was 7 or 8 at the time, so I don't remember this game. If anyone out there has the full story on this great comeback, drop us a line at 18to88@gmail.com. It seems like a natural nominee for important Colts game. A big home comeback in the first year in Indy certainly belongs on the list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if memory serves, this is the game that my brother (a lifelong steelers fan) rooted all-out for the steelers. we were season ticket holders for the colts first few seasons in town. I was 9 or 10. and my dad was FURIOUS ... until the final score, at which point I'm sure he launched into his best "I told you so" routine.

ah, but these are not the droids you're looking for ...?

Anonymous said...

I'm almost positive there is a highlight of that play on the NFL Films DVD about the history of the Colts. I'd post it, but I don't know how, and Roger Goodell would shut it down faster than a PacMan Jones strip club.

Deshawn Zombie said...

We have the dvd set and will look up that game. Thanks!