Sunday, December 23, 2007

Things NOT Overheard at Tonight's Pacers' Game

1. Wow, those Wizards unis are sharp.
2. Tinsley town? That sounds like a great place for kids!
3. I love Troy Murphy's game.
4. Man, this place is electric tonight!
5. 8 bucks for a basket of chicken strips? What a steal!
6. Have you logged onto Feverbasketball.com recently?
7. Where can I get a David Harrison jersey?
8. Why haven't they retired Stipos number?
9. What this game really needs is a crazy fan to run onto the court!
10. I love this team!

Seriously, folks. It was depressing tonight. I know I've been out of the country for awhile, but who killed my team while I was gone?

A. Ron Artest
B. Jamaal Tinsley
C. Peyton Manning

The thing about going to games when Reggie was playing, is that every time he touched the ball it was an event. In the 90s, when I first started going on my own with my friends in high school, MSA was jumping. The team was good, and the crowd was loud. Even after the peak years, we had all seen Reggie do so many great things that it was an honor to be watching him. Every three, every layup reminded us of the night he lit up the Garden, shocked the Bulls, or tried to will us home against New Jersey. This was my first post-Reggie Pacers' game (again, I've been gone for three years, so cut me some slack), and the house was dead. Demond, official 18to88 brother-in-law Dontrell, and I spent the first half hour mocking nearly everything. Especially Troy Murphy. Why is he playing over Jeff Foster? He had one of the ugliest near double-doubles ever. He's like Rik Smits if Rik had sucked. It was either mock everything or give into the depression of seeing a half full house pull for a seriously flawed team beating down a bunch of guys in fracking pajamas (for reasons I don't care to go into, we've been watching Battlestar Galactica. You already knew I was geek, don't dwell on it now). Still there were good things:

1. Danny Granger, um, build around this guy
2. Kareem Rush is seriously close to being dependable
3. Mike Dunleavy plays really hard despite being burdened with an extra vowel.
4. JO acts like he really cares about winning.

Oh, and the trivia question answer? It's C. Peyton Manning and the Colts have made it impossible for Indy fans to accept anything less than a title contender who stays out of the headlines. 42-40 won't cut here anymore the way it would have back in 1988.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those who missed the fan on the court:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz9kfoLYKrI

Andy said...

I disagree. The Pacers were title contenders in 2000 while the Colts were still in the Jim Mora era.

If anyone killed the Pacers, it'd be Larry Bird for resigning us to a future of being slightly above average and trading away all our draft picks for Al Harrington and James White.

Deshawn Zombie said...

Nah, late round picks rarely pan out in the NBA anyway. Don't over celebrate the Jim Mora years. He was such a lousy coach, the Colts were only .500 in his four seasons, and didn't win a playoff game.

Andy said...

Yeah, what I meant was that we expect the Pacers to be contenders because of their history of success, not because the Colts are good now. The Pacers were title contenders while the Colts were still just a slightly above average team under Mora.

The Pacers were built on high talent guys with questionable attitudes, most of whom were traded for no talent guys with great attitudes. Neither combination has been particularly fun to cheer for.