Friday, November 21, 2008

Derek Schultz on Bob Lamey

We recently asked Derek Schultz of XL 950 to give his take on long time Colts broadcaster Bob Lamey. Here's what Derek had to say:

"Lamey is among those that I didn't particularly care for. He is a really nice guy and a passionate Colts fan, however sometimes he lets that bleed over too much into his broadcast.

I find it particularly annoying when he constantly complains about officiating. I hold p-b-p people to a higher standard than color guys because I believe it is there responsibility to be professional throughout. The "fan" in the booth is supposed to be the color guy (i.e. Ron Santo). Actually, a perfect example of an outstanding broadcast team is Santo and Pat Hughes on Cubs' broadcasts. Hughes gives you the meat and potatoes - he's your eyes and ears. Santo is emotional and reactionary - he's your head and heart. That's what I want from every broadcast team.

Also, I don't like Lamey's voice (just my personal opinion), but I know that's something he has no control over. He is also inaccurate at times, especially with gains/losses as well as down and distance (and Vinatieri's FG miss at San Diego last year).

You have to take what I say with a big grain of salt because I am not a Colts fan. I think Hawk Harrellson is the worst announcer ever but I know die-hard White Sox fans that will throw you down a flight of stairs to defend him. Fans tend to love their home p-b-p guy and I know plenty of people that love Lamey. I believe that grading announcers is all a matter of personal opinion. Vin Scully, Marv Albert, and Al Michaels are three of the best ever, and I guarantee that there are people out there that can't stand them."

Big thanks to Derek and XL 950 for helping us out. You can hear Derek on XL 950's Xtra Large Lunch, weekdays from Noon to 1 pm. I'm curious how many of you agree with Derek's take on Lamey.

DZ Comments: I can't judge this at all. I love Lamey because other than that weird stretch with Joe McConnell that wasn't pretty at all, he's always been the voice of my Colts experience. I can remember our dad always hated him because "he yells no matter which team has something good happen". In local announcing, I believe that stability is almost as important as quality. Lamey works great for me because he's a conduit to every great Colts team in my lifetime. I love his work, but am way too biased to judge it. For the record, I love the Hawk's home run call, but I think Ron Santo is human waste when it comes to announcing (and that sound is exactly zero people fainting with surprise).

Links:
The Sports guy rips on new fields citing the Colts Bears game as a prime example about the loss of home field advantage. The Luke (or the Stable as some of our readers were calling last week) can be every bit as loud as the dome. I believe that based on my experience there in week one. Our fans act depressed this year. They are still in shock. I expect them to round into form eventually and make the Luke just as loud as the Dome was.

He also calls 18 the MVP while reinforcing the truly dubious nature of his own heterosexuality. Seriously, given the kinds of arguments Pats fans used for years, surely they would have to recognize the greatness of this season. At least he's consistent.

18 Plays is back this week...but still only in written form.
I'm still having technical difficulties. I really do plan on podcasting again some day. Just not today.

13 comments:

Jacob Burch said...

From someone who only has to hear him when ESPN does Colts highlights, I like him a lot.

That said, as my local voice is Vin Scully, I have a fairly high standard for PBP guys, and the homerism would grate me after about five minutes I'm sure. Vin always has a way of telling you the game story as a Dodger broadcaster, but never a Dodger homer, and something I don't think anyone has matched yet.

Deshawn Zombie said...

Vin Scully is the best announcer to ever live.

He can't be the standard, because everyone else would be forced off the air.

I randomly listen to him whenever possible, and I sort of hate the Dodgers.

Anonymous said...

Mortal Kombat vs DC Comics????

I don't play video games, but I went out and bought that as soon as I saw the commercial for it.

Superman shooting lasers out of his eyes at Sub Zero?

C'mon...that's bad ass.

Jacob Burch said...

The week I was without TV was actually when the Reds were in town this week, so I somehow got my really bad radio to work enough to listen to him for three innings (he goes full TV after the third). He did Cinci will with many stories of praise for Votto and co.

shake'n'bake said...

The problem I have with Simmons HFA piece is that most teams are kind of forced to build the stadiums that way. Which is worse, a slightly quieter stadium or significantly less money to pay players, coaches and personnel people.

shake'n'bake said...

and the other reasons he cites are probably more likely. Advanced NFL Stats broke down HFA by quarter and it gets weaker as the game goes on. When the crowd is on their feet screaming in the 4th quarter of a tight game, homefield advantage is actually at it's weakest.
It's the travel and unfamiliar surroundings that build HFA more than the fans.

shake'n'bake said...

and his big fancy stat on SOTA stadium teams at home against the spread?

only 3% worse than just home teams ATS.

Simmons fails at stats

Bob M. said...

From 18 plays... " 83% of the unbiased general public think the Colts will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl."

What am I missing here? Pure joke? 8-point-3 percent?

Deshawn Zombie said...

It's from the poll this week on the side bar

shake'n'bake said...

Hayden's probably back. Full practice today and Indy Star says he should play. No practice for Bob though.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20081121/SPORTS03/81121041/1100/sports03

Demond Sanders said...

When I put that poll up I thought people would be honest about who they thought would advance to the Super Bowl. And maybe they are being honest in picking the Colts, I don't know.

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks the Jets are going to make a run at it.

Bob M. said...

Oh, duh, the poll.
I'll play the odds and say Titans, but when i voted I figured on a Colts site I had to be loyal and show unity/support, even if it wasn't totally honest.

How depressing would it have been to have no votes for our own guys? I couldn't let that happen. What are our FO odds? About 5% IIRC? Better than my winning the lottery!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just read that link--the Sports Guy piece--and, uh, body oil and and glitter? While I agree with his assessment of Manning, even I wouldn't go so far as the body oil and glitter comment, and I think that as a girl, I could probably get away with it.

And it wasn't the only "off" commentary in the piece. Ugh.