Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Colts Trade for Bills DT John McCargo




What is it about the Indianapolis Colts and troubled Defensive Tackles? ESPN reports that Indy has traded an undisclosed draft pick to the Buffalo Bills for former first round pick (2006) John McCargo. The North Carolina State standout has fallen out of favor in Buffalo after registering 29 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2007.

The Buffalo News offers greater insight into McCargo's situation. The Bills were in good shape at DT and could afford to shed some dead weight. This sounds like the case of a guy losing motivation after his initial big payday in the NFL. We've seen this before, but hopefully a new environment will help turn things around for this kid.

DZ Comments: What? We didn't trade for a running back?! I'm shocked! Scouts Inc, you lead me astray! This is welcome news. As long as the pick wasn't too high, I don't think anyone will complain about this deal. A fifth, and we can live with it. A third? It's a fleece. He should really be careful. Playing DT for the Colts is about like the job once held by this guy:

Let's hope "Spontaneous human combustion" doesn't get added to the list of: congenital career ending illness, car accident, blown knee, sudden retirement, and pot related shenanigans. The space between Mathis, Freeney and Gary Brackett is the Bermuda Triangle of the NFL.

It looks like a fourth. Blah. Seems high to me for a guy who doesn't seem to want to play. The upside is: the Colts don't make this move if they weren't 100% convinced they can win it all. I take comfort from that.

Links:

The Colts make a huge leap in DVOA. Most interesting is that their schedule is the 26th toughest from here on out.

Cold Hard Football Facts' comment on Manning is priceless

21 comments:

shake'n'bake said...

happy medium DS. It was a 4th.
I'd link but it's only on PFT right now.

Deshawn Zombie said...

Ha. You beat me to it, thanks to my painfully slow internet connection. I was just trying to run down the story on NFL.com to see if there was an original there.

A fourth. Geeze, that seems high to me.

Demond Sanders said...

LOL - Spontaneous Combustion. Book it.

Demond Sanders said...

He was a first rounder the year before last, not that that means anything.

They must really like Stroud.

Anonymous said...

Good trade, though we should have given them a 3rd rounder because Polian almost always screws up the 3rd rounders anyway :)

Even if he only plays at the same level he did for Buffalo, he's worth the 4th round pick. That's probably all you'd get from a 4th round DT and the upside is maybe in a new environment he'd re-ignite.
What style defense does Buffalo play? Is it possible he's more suited to our style defense? The write up on ESPN seemed to indicated he was a little undersized for his role at Buffalo (but at 307 he's just the right size for our line)

Anonymous said...

Considering the Cowboys gave up a 1st and 3rd for Williams this seems like an OK value to me.

shake'n'bake said...

They play some Tampa-2. They don't play it as much as the Colts (no one does) and have a heavier built D (everyone does).

Anonymous said...

Anyone read further down into that Will Carroll article? Talking about the Turf at the Luke? Anyone else hearing complaints about it? I assumed it was the exact same style as the turf at the Hoosier(Not RCA) Dome, which seemed to be much less likely to create injuries then the old Astro Turf (I still have nightmares about that safety Freddie something that blew out both knees in the late 80's early 90's)

Anonymous said...

It was Freddie Robinson drafted in 1987...promising Safety never played again...

Deshawn Zombie said...

My understanding is that it was the exact same brand, if not the exact same turf as in RCA.

I could be wrong about that.

Demond Sanders said...

No, I'm certain it is Field Turf, just like in the Dome. This is the first I've heard of these complaints. A ton of NFL teams play on this surface.

He seems to blame Hart's injury on the turf. Possible I suppose, but it seems more likely it was the tackler's helmet slamming directly into his kneecap that did the trick.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I thought it was strange to be blaming the turf on Hart's injury. I'm kind of surprised if it's an ACL because it didn't seem like the kind of hit that causes a ACL injury. I was thinking more a broken or chiped bone, or torn cartilage or something. There didn't seem to be any twisting or hyperextension affects normally associated with ACL/MCL/LCL tears. But then again I'm no Doctor.

Bob M. said...

Field Turf it is; all the new venues have it. I assume Reliant does too, but I heard a bunch of complaints from Colts at least about that turf. Sounds like the old Vet Stadium in Philly, where good legs went to die premature deaths in holes and pockets and seams in the astro turf.

Best thing I have read at CHFF in a LOOOOONG time was their Titans/Chiefs prediction: 2-0.

CHFF could have gone the extra mile and predicted that score in OT.

Bob M. said...

Oh, and just so long as he doesn't choke on vomit... not his own.

Way too many lines from that movie to reference.

Anonymous said...

I think that Reliant has the grass-tray system.

Anonymous said...

Woooo!!!! Game changing trade by Polian again!!!

Seriously though, our defense has been gouged on the ground, injuries are piling up, then we trade for a DT. Remind anyone of a particular year? The Colts will be looking Super in February.

That's my cutting analysis for the day. I'm waiting for JC's pills to wear off so I can harass him about Boston being down 3-1 in the ALCS. Should be a good day for me.

shake'n'bake said...

Mike Hart IR'ed. Clifton Dawson and Chad Simpson are the "new" RB additions

Anonymous said...

Crud. What a tough break for that guy...he just seemed like a warrior. I hope he can come back strong.

What's the official injury? Sprain, tear, etc?

shake'n'bake said...

Indy Star just says "injury to his right knee"

Anonymous said...

RE: Reliant

Picture:
http://www.strathayr.com.au/images/turf/side/Removable%20Turf%20Systems/1_RELIAN~5_LG.jpg

Info:
http://www.strathayr.com.au/html/turf/removable_turf.htm

Bob M. said...

Thanks for correcting me on my Reliant assumption (you know what they say about assuming).

Modular turf + leg injuries sounds like a bad combination. No idea if the stadium has a rep for that, or if our guys (Hayden and... someone else complained) just hit the Bermuda Triangle of turf for one day.