Monday, June 30, 2008

More Contest Suggestions

We've gotten in a couple of solid first attempts in the Import Wins Contest (see two posts ago). Keep them coming.

Two more games I definitely want to see someone write up are the Colts throttling of the Bucs on the last day of the 1987 season to secure a playoff bid. I'd also like someone to take on the win over the Vikings on Christmas Eve of 2000 that helped secured a second consecutive playoff bid. The Colts looked like they wouldn't make the playoffs midway through the season, but closed strong and beat a good team in the Dome to slip in.

Go easy on the 2006 games. I've already had a couple (not counting the Super Bowl) entries there. Right now the best way to win is to do one of the four games I've suggested in these posts.

Links:
I'm reposting it from the comments section, just because it's awesome. My Rik Smits fixation has been satisfied for today.

Prisco picks the 30 players most likely to break out. Our own "Junior Seau Junior" Freddy Keiaho made the list.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rik winning a game for the Pacers in the playoffs will be forever etched in my memory; I was visiting my girlfriend's family in Buffalo, sitting alone in front of a TV screaming out loud as he hit a shot (I think it was the shot they showed when he talked about hitting his share of game-winning shots, but my memory isn't that good). Ah, those were the days. Rik & Reggie.

I once delivered a pizza to Detlef before we traded for McKey; man, he was tall!

Bob M. said...

It's been a while since I was at the 18to88 website, but if it's not in there somewhere, the final game of 1997 should be. I remember checking out the final standings (not sure if grad school was in session or just out) and then emailing friends, none of whom is a Colts fan, "Hah! We just won the Peyton Manning sweepstakes."

Deshawn Zombie said...

Yeah, but I think we had to lose that game to clinch the pick. It can't be a most important win if we actually lost.

Deshawn Zombie said...

That Smits shot was the end of one of the best games ever. Reggie was amazing down the stretch and that move and shot by Rik sent us all screaming through the house

Anonymous said...

I was at the playoff game where Smits hit the shot. One of Rik's basketball cards is of that shot, and a 14 yr old version of me can be seen in teh background.

Bob M. said...

DZ, would you call NOT getting Manning a win? It was addition by subtraction and possibly our most significant game since the Ghost to the Post double OT playoff game (on the theory that whoever went to the SB against Dallas in 95 was just cannon fodder anyway). W/L... who cares--it got us Manning!

Okay, I admit I saw "most significant wins" and thought "most significant games." My mistake.

shake'n'bake said...

Did you miss #26 on Prisco's list?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
TROY ...HAHAHA... WILLIAMSON!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Deshawn Zombie said...

No, I didn't miss it. I just wanted to see you guys would see it.

But Shake! He didn't drop ONE PASS all off season! He's headed for big things (20 catches!)

shake'n'bake said...

When I played football my hands were a joke. I dropped the pass when the coaches were teaching us a bubble screen.
But I could catch rocket passes from a future top 50 MLB draft pick in shorts and t-shirt with no contact D.
In pads, in games is so ridiculously different from offseason stuff.