Tuesday, June 10, 2008

600

Well, Jr did it and thus ruined my plans for an ill-timed but absolutely unavoidable trip to Cincinnati this week. I'm happy for him. My hope is that he can still cobble together enough seasons to at least pass Mays at 660, or even sniff 700 HRs. It probably won't be with the Reds, but I hope it happens anyway.

Links:
Tim Kurkjian talks about how great Griffey was 15 years ago.

I'm not the only one who hates the comportment of the Cub fans. Reds announcer Marty Brennamen's wikkipedia page is hilarious. Scroll down and read the quotes under "Controversies". He's dead right.

Sam Perkins is back. It's funny; I was just thinking about him the other day. Now he's going babysit the Pacers players.

Here's another Griffey celebration.

3 comments:

JH said...

I lived in the Seattle Area from 1994-1997 when I was in High School. Griffey will always be my favorite baseball player. He broke so many hearts when he asked to be traded to Cincy. I remember seeing my first Griffey homerun in person and the first time I seen him rob someone else of a homer. Truly one of the good guys in baseball and someone who I will teach my son about long before he ever hears the name Barry Bonds.

shake'n'bake said...

In the words of the great Jay Bruce

"There's only one Ken Griffey."

Anonymous said...

Crunched some #'s at work.

From 01-04 he missed 331 games out of a potential 648. Figure he would have started 290 of them and hit 4 times per game....1160 AB's.

Through the end of the 2000 Season - if my math is correct and I'm smarter than all of you so it probably is - he had averaged an HR every 14.5 at bats.

Divide 1160 (which I think it a pretty conservative number) by 16 to be even more conservative and that's another 72 jacks to his tally.

Realistically, he probably would have hit 700 the other night steroid-free.

Plus, nobody would have rooted against him the way we did for Bonds.

Race wasn't the issue, Bonds is just a punk that nobody likes.

There's nobody that deserved to break that record more than Griffey.