Wednesday, March 28, 2007

You know, for kids!

Like most men, the WNBA and other women's pro sports drives me nuts. It's a sham league propped up by owners trying to fill their stadiums. Now, after the failure of women's pro-soccer, some are clamoring to restart the league (insert Maude Flander's voice here) "For the children". Check out this amazing article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6595026?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=2737

Bill Simmons already wrote the definitive WNBA article a few years back, so I won't try to copy him. In the interest of full disclosure, I love women. I had a lot of friends who played women's sports in college. I went to many women's soccer games to root for my friends. I hope my daughter grows up to play high school and college sports. But I do NOT need her to find role models in professional athletes. In fact, I'd much rather she NOT look to athletes as role models, and I'm sure as hell not going to pay to prop up some sad sack pro league just so she can have someone to look up to. I'd rather invest that same money to help smart, competent, intelligent women working in any number of more productive fields. I want my daughter to grow up to be an amazing person, but not a pro athlete.

I'll burn in hell before they get 2 cents from me. And that goes double for you WNBA.

No comments: